The table shows a list of numbers. For every number listed in the table, multiply by 2 and record the result on the right.
1. What is the result of multiplying an even or odd number by 2? Will this always happen? Draw a picture to show why or why not.
2. Create a new table with the same numbers in the left column. This time, multiply the number by 2 and then add 1. Record this result on the right.
3. How do the results from the first table relate to the results in your new table? Why do you think that is?
4. What conclusions can you make about how even and odd numbers work?
I am a number that can be written as a decimal or as a fraction. I am less than ½ and more than 1/3. As a decimal, all three of my digits are different and odd. The sum of my tenths’ and hundredths’ digits is less than 9. The sum of my tenths’ and thousandths’ digits is less than seven.
1.Who am I? Describe me as a decimal, a fraction, and in words. How are these descriptions related?
2.Draw a number line to show my location. What is my exact distance from one?
Show all steps and thinking used to find the mystery number.
The students in Roberto’s class are growing wheatgrass seedlings in different conditions for a science project. Roberto noticed that Patricia’s seedlings are 1 1/2 times a tall as his own. He also notices that Cody’s seedlings are 3/4 as tall as his own.
1. Which of the seedling cups must belong to each student? Explain your reasoning.
2. Roberto’s seedlings are 8 inches tall. Find the height in inches of the wheatgrass in the other two cups. Solve the problem in at least two ways.
Fresno County Office of Education • Larry Powell, Superintendent
Xavier wants to join a basketball league this summer. There are three different teams that have openings. Xavier was able to collect data for the last five games that each of the teams played and organize it in a table.
1. If Xavier uses the mean to rank the teams, which team will he join?
2. If he uses the median to rank the teams, which team will he join?
3. If you are the coach of the Stars team, what kind of data would you use to get Xavier to join your team? Why?
4. Represent this data in your choice of a type of a graph.